The economic downturn has required my Board to look at budgets and financial management in new ways. I am proud of our accomplishments:
- No tax increase
- We preserved Westport’s quality education and municipal services
- We maintained our Aaa bond rating
- We hired an Internal Auditor
I see five priorities for the next Board:
- Address mushrooming pension costs. We can find funding approaches that guarantee financial security to our retirees without diverting an increasing percentage of tax dollars from other uses.
- Prepare for the next crisis. We can protect Westport from uncertainty by developing a financial forecasting model that measures the impact of current and future expenditures under different revenue scenarios.
- Help taxpayers survive the 2010 revaluation.
- Get serious about government efficiencies. We can focus on areas where sharing functions improves services, thereby building consensus for change and achieving lasting savings.
- Listen more. We can accomplish much if we treat each other and those who appear before us with civility and respect.